Click here to view the Spanish version: https://youtu.be/C6pFu8LEowA
In This Unit of Study…
Students first become acquainted with the coordinate plane in fifth grade. They identify the origin and axes in the coordinate system, and they plot, and label ordered pairs in the first quadrant. Students connect their understanding of the number line to the x- and y-axes. Once they learn to navigate along the coordinate plane, they apply this knowledge by representing mathematical and real-world problems involving plotted points, and they interpret their values within the context of the situation. Instruction includes the connection between two-column tables and coordinates on a coordinate plane. In fifth grade, coordinate planes and corresponding ordered pairs should only include whole numbers.
- MA.5.GR.4.1 Identify the origin and axes in the coordinate system. Plot and label ordered pairs in the first quadrant of the coordinate plane.
- MA.5.GR.4.2 Represent mathematical and real-world problems by plotting points in the first quadrant of the coordinate plane and interpret coordinate values of points in the context of the situation.
- I can describe the coordinate system and identify the origin.
- I can identify the x-axis and y-axis.
- I can determine an ordered pair.
- I can describe the relationship between ordered pairs and their locations in the first quadrant.
- I can determine when a mathematical problem has a set of ordered pairs.
- I can interpret coordinate values in the context of the situation.
- I can solve problems by graphing points in the first quadrant of the coordinate plane.
Dive in Five video embed